Graduate Application Instructions
December 15 for admission in the Fall semester, October 15 for admission in the Spring semester.
Applicants to the History Department will submit materials through the Online Application Process. All application materials must be received on or before the dates indicated above.
All applicants will be asked to upload the following documents:
- Letter of Intent
- This should be a roughly 1,000 word essay indicating why you have chosen to pursue graduate work in History, what your general study/career plans are, and the qualifications that have prepared you for advanced work in History. You should also address why UNM’s History department is your choice, and how your interests fit with the specialities of faculty in our department.
- The American Historical Association’s website has several resources to help you understand the necessary components of a graduate application and how to craft a successful letter of intent.
- Unofficial Transcripts from every institution attended.
- Recommendation letters: You will provide the email addresses of three (3) people who have agreed to write letters of recommendation for you.
- The best letters of recommendation will come from faculty members who know your work in the classroom setting. They will be able to comment on your analytical and communication skills and your professionalism. The goal of these letters is to help the admissions committee assess your readiness for advanced study and work in the historical discipline.
- Personal or family friends, work colleagues, or supervisors at non-academic jobs (even ones on college campuses) are not ideal recommenders.
- The faculty members who have agreed to write recommendations for you will receive an email with an online portal to which they will upload their letters.
- Optional: you may choose to upload an academic CV.
- PhD applicants are required to submit a writing sample.
- This should demonstrate your skills in historical research and analysis, as well as your writing skills. The standard length for a writing sample is 20-30 pages.
PLEASE NOTE: EFFECTIVE FALL 2017, GRE SCORES ARE NO LONGER REQUIRED AND WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
U.S. citizens and permanent residents should submit the following materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions
- Online Application for domestic and permanent resident applicants
- One official transcript from each institution attended by the applicant should be sent by mail to the address below. (Unofficial transcripts will be uploaded to the online application portal).
Undocumented residents are welcome to apply. Please see this link for information about applying to UNM: https://grad.unm.edu/prospective-students/undocumented.html.
- Online Application
- Acceptable evidence of English language proficiency. Please consult the Global Education Office to discuss your options.
- Academic records (with English translation)
- Financial guarantee
Office of International Admissions
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
All applicants should fill out the Application for Financial Aid. Graduate Assistantships are competitive, and all qualified students will be considered. The Assistantships include a stipend, tuition waiver, and medical insurance. For more information on departmental and other funding, please see the Funding page.The Financial Aid Application can be e-mailed to Dana Ellison at email@example.com or mailed to the address below.
Additional Information: The American Historical Association’s Resources for Graduate Students may be helpful as you navigate this process.
Please contact the department with questions about the application process by phone at (505) 277-2451, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.